How do I cross-list two sections of the same course?
You will learn how to cross-list two or more sections of a course, so that you only have to deal with one course and all of the cross-listed students will see the same content, announcements, discussions, assignments, quizzes, etc.
1. Enter the course which you want to merge into the main course.
This is not your main (parent) course. This is the course you want to merge into the parent/main course.
For example, in this guide, we want the COUN 380 course enrollments to appear in the HUSR 380 course.
2. Scroll down and click on Settings.
3. Click on the Sections tab.
4. Click on the link showing this course and it enrollments.
Note that the name of the section is identical to the name of the course.
5. Click on Cross-List this Section.
6. Paste the name of the main course into the search field.
7. Select the course from the list.
8. Verify that it is the correct course.
9. Click on Cross-List This Section.
10. The message will display showing the cross-list was successful.
11. Note that you are now in the main course.
12. Click on Back to Course Settings.
13. Both sections are now listed with their enrollments.
Canvas Training Video on how to cross list sections
Guides on cross listing and de-cross listing
You have now learned how to cross list or merge course sections in Canvas.
Note: Once students do work in the course, do not de-cross list the sections or their work will be lost.