Classic Quizzes vs New Quizzes: How do I decide?
You will learn about some of the reasons to choose Classic Quizzes and some of the reasons to choose New Quizzes.
Eventually, all Canvas teachers will need to switch to New Quizzes. The current prediction is that Classic Quizzes will be deprecated around June 2024 (unless Instructure delays yet again), meaning that all newly-made quizzes after that date will have to be a New Quizzes quiz.
View the Canvas | New Quizzes Feature Comparison for a detailed comparison of the various features offered by Classic Quizzes and New Quizzes.
You may want to use Classic Quizzes if you need these features:
- You have question banks with your quizzes (question banks themselves cannot be migrated to New Quizzes Item Banks). All questions must be added to a quiz to migrate well.
- You need surveys (graded or non-graded).
- You need practice quizzes (however, you can make New Quizzes worth 0 points or exclude them from .
- You need the Section Filter (to filter quiz results by section), Student Analysis and/or the Item Analysis download.
- You use Respondus to create or organize your questions or quizzes and then upload to Canvas.
You may want to use New Quizzes if you need these features:
- You need to use a "Stimulus" question type (as well as Hotspot, Ordering, Categorization).
- You need additional accommodation options.
- You want to have the question points be different than the total quiz points (for example, 35 questions but worth a total of 100 points).
- You want to allow partial points for some question types, like Matching.
- You want to print the quiz.
- You want more robust regrade options.
Before switching to New Quizzes be aware of these known issues:
- Canvas Admin/Staff Support users cannot copy Item Banks for you even though they have access to them as it will automatically make that user then new owner of the Item Bank.
- No search feature to find individual questions across Item Banks.
- There are no descriptions for Item Banks, so you need to have a very thorough naming scheme.
- If you share an Item Bank, the other instructor will have full access rights to delete/modify. It is recommended to copy the bank, then share the copy.
- Reports may take 24 to 48 hours to generate.
- There is no link from a question in a quiz to the Item Bank where it is located, so you don't know which Item Bank you got it from.
You have now learned about some of the feature differences between Classic Quizzes and New Quizzes.