How do I create a VT Assignment Builder 'Create' assignment in Canvas?
You will learn how to add a VoiceThread Assignment Builder 'Create' type assignment.
Use this type of assignment when you want students to create their own VoiceThread which you can grade, and if desired you can have other students post comments (using the Student Gallery).
The purpose of creating an Assignment in Canvas rather than simply embedding the VoiceThread in the Rich Text Editor (RCE) is so that the grades you assign in VoiceThread will carry over to your gradebook in Canvas.
1. Click on the + icon in a Module.
2. Select Assignment.
3. Select [New Assignment].
4. Type a name for the assignment.
5. Click on on Add Item.
6. Click on assignment name.
7. Click on Edit.
8. Select External Tool from the Submission Type dropdown menu.
9. Click on Find.
Note that once you have completed this VoiceThread assignment set up, you cannot click on this Find button again; otherwise, it will disconnect your existing VoiceThread from this Canvas Assignment.
10. Grab the bottom left corner to expand the dialog box if needed.
11. Select VoiceThread from the list.
12. Hover mouse of i for more info (if desired).
13. Click on Assignment Builder.
Since we want this assignment to report to the Canvas gradebook, we must select Assignment Builder. The other types will not report.
Follow these steps to create the specific type of Assignment Builder assignment that you want to use in your course. Choices include Create, Comment, and Watch.
Let's create a 'Create' VoiceThread where the students will need to create their own VoiceThread (VT), and if desired post comments on other students' VTs.
1. Watch this video on how to proceed.
2. After setting up the VT, click on Select.
3. Click on Save & Publish.
4. The details of this VoiceThread will display.
Each time you click on this Canvas Assignment, this information will display showing which students have attempted the assignment, which ones have been graded, etc.
Note in this example, one student has started but not completed the assignment.
5. View this video to learn how to grade a Create VT assignment.
You have now learned to how set up a VoiceThread Assignment Builder Create assignment in your course, so that students can watch/view a VoiceThread you have made. The grades from this VoiceThread will automatically go to the gradebook in your course.