How do I connect GRL, so that it reports grades to my gradebook in Canvas?
You will learn how to connect your course Assignments with quizzes in Great River Learning (GRL).
The GRL content website allows you to have your students read and take quizzes. Those quizzes can then report back to your gradebook in Canvas.
Follow these steps after you have communicated with the GRL representative, and the online book has been set up for your course in GRLcontent.com. The GRL representative must be the one to connect your Canvas course with the course in GRLcontent.
Assignments allow you to connect to publisher online books (with quizzes, tests, etc.) and other External Tool activities like H5P, VoiceThread, SoftChalk, Flipgrid, GoReact, etc., where you can grade those activities and have the points transfer to your gradebook.
1. Click on + sign in the Module where you want to add the Assignment.
2. Select Assignment from the dropdown menu.
3. Click on Create Assignment.
4. Type a name for the assignment.
5. Click on Add Item.
6. Click on the link to the Assignment.
7. Click on Edit.
8. Type in any desired instructions.
9. Type the number of Points for this Assignment.
Tip: The score sent over from GRL to the course gradebook will be adapted by Canvas to fit the number of points you put in this assignment.
10. Select the appropriate Assignment Group.
You may also create a new Assignment Group if desired.
11. Decide how you want to display the grade in the gradebook.
If you select 'Not Graded' then you will not have a SpeedGrader link nor a column in the gradebook for this Assignment.
12. Decide whether this Assignment should be included in the course total.
13. Select External Tool.
This submission type allows you to link to GRL. If you do not select External Tool, then GRL cannot send grades to your course.
14. Click on Find.
15. Scroll down to GRLCONTENT.
16. Click on Select.
17. Decide which settings for the Assign to section.
It is recommended to use the due dates and time limits in GRL when deciding when students should take their quizzes and how much time they can have rather than setting due and availability dates in Canvas.
18. Save & Publish.
In order to properly connect and stay connected to the GRL quiz that we are going to use, you must Publish the Assignment.
Now, it is time to connect your Assignment with the GRL Chapter 1 quiz.
1. GRL will open up within your Assignment.
2. Click on the Components tab.
3. Click on the Pencil icon of the Gradebook for your course.
4. Click on Pair Assignments.
5. Tick the boxes for the assignments you want to link to your course in Canvas.
In this sample course, we are only connecting Chapter quizzes 1 through 5 as shown below.
6. Select the appropriate Assignment named in Canvas.
In this case, QUIZ 1 is the name of the Assignment in the course in Canvas.
7. Select the appropriate Assignment name for the remaining chapter quizzes.
8. Click on Submit.
Here is the Great River Learning company guide for instructors.
You have now learned how to create an Assignment in your course which you can connect with GRL, so that it will receive the score from the quiz in GRL.