How do I create an accessible table in a Page?
You will learn how to use the Accessibility Checker in Canvas to create an accessible table in the Rich Content Editor in a Page.
Given that you want all of your students to be able to utilize your course instructional material, it is essential that you make a few changes so that students using a screen reader can also view your content.
1. Create a new Page.
Read this guide to learn how to make a new Page.
2. Click on Edit.
3. Click on the Table.
4. Hover the mouse over Table.
5. Select the desired configuration of columns and rows.
6. Enter the data into the cells.
Note: Do not combine cells. All tables should be used for tabular data rather than for layout.
7. Click on the Accessibility Checker.
8. Type a useful caption for the table.
9. Click on Apply.
10. Select Header row.
Tip: Select one of the three choices for headers: Header row (for when the top row is the header); Header column (for when the header is the first column on the left; Header row and column (for when you are using both the first row and first column as headers.
11. Click on Apply.
12. The Accessibility Checker now shows that there are no other issues.
13. Click on Save & Publish.
14. The table now displays and should be easily read by a student using a screen reader.
You have now learned how to create an accessible table in the Rich Content Editor in a Page (or Discussion or Assignment).